Cosmetics are mainly used by many people to enhance their look and beauty.
Apart from enhancing beauty, these cosmetics are also responsible for certain allergic reactions, which can lead to cosmetic allergy.
For most of you, certain cosmetic products like moisturizers, deodorants, colognes, and also other cosmetics has become a part in your daily life style.
Most of the cosmetics mainly contain certain specific harmful ingredients like strong fragrances and preservatives; which can be allergic to your skin. Usage of these specific products can result in cosmetic allergy.
Cosmetic allergy is not so common, but certain recent studies had estimated that, about 10% of the total population can have chances to experience cosmetic allergy in their life time. Mostly women are more prone to get affected with this cosmetic allergy.
How can you identify the adverse reactions of cosmetics?
Cosmetic allergy is mainly identified with two important adverse reactions on the skin. These two main adverse reactions of using cosmetics include irritant contact dermatitis and allergic contact dermatitis.
Irritant contact dermatitis: This is the most common form of inflammation that can occur to any one. It is mainly developed when your skin comes in contact with any harsh or harmful irritants. It usually begins with red rash, swollen and patchy skin.
It can also develop blisters when the inflammation is severe. Thin layers of the skin like eyelids and also dry, scratched areas of the skin are more affected with this type of dermatitis.
Allergic contact dermatitis: If you are allergic to specific ingredients or ingredients present in the cosmetic products, then you can experience this type of contact dermatitis. It is usually characterized with itching, redness and swollen skin.
In some severe cases, the skin becomes red and dry. Face, lips, neck, eyes and ears are the most common parts, which can affect with this type of dermatitis.
Essential tips to follow in order to avoid cosmetic allergy:
- It is very important for you to know the type of ingredients that can cause allergic reactions to your skin. Keep the track of those ingredients to which your skin is sensitive. Try to check the list of ingredients before buying any cosmetic products and keep yourself away from cosmetic allergy.
- If you are using any new product to your skin, mini patch test is always helpful in identifying the harmful allergens to your skin.[allergy skin tests]
- Always choose the products with simple and easy formula and also with less number of ingredients to avoid cosmetic allergy.
- Do not apply perfumes or deodorants directly to your skin. Instead, apply them on your clothes and allow them to dry for some time before wearing. This will prevent the direct contact of your skin to irritants and avoids the adverse allergic reactions.
- Try to prefer non-comedogenic (which can tends to acne), hypoallergenic and fragrance free make up products in order to prevent cosmetic allergy.