How To Control Jewelry Allergy?

Few people know that gold and silver metals can cause allergies, or that the nickel content in gold and silver can cause jewelry allergies.

Because pure gold and silver metals are too soft to be moulded or mounted, jewelers mix nickel, zinc or copper to make it easier to produce a desired shape or form.

While zinc and copper do not harm your sensitive skin, nickel can irritate your skin and causes allergic symptoms, which means you are actually allergic to nickel metal, not the jewelry itself.

While it can affect anyone, jewelry allergy is most commonly experienced by women who see their personal jewelry as part of their daily dress and their most precious possession. Here are a few tips for you to manage jewelry allergy in an effective way:

Recognize that you have jewelry allergy

An allergic reaction usually appears soon after contact with the item, but it can take months or years of comfortable wear before surfacing.

For some, it is easy to realize and recognize that an allergy is developing. For others, though, the clues are more subtle, especially if the person hasn’t had previous episodes of the allergy.

Identify the symptoms in the beginning

When the nickel metal present in the jewelry is absorbed into the bloodstream, the cells present in your skin show a combative reaction to the foreign object. As a result, you will experience itching, patchy red marks and also, in some cases bleeding. These symptoms may develop in hours, over weeks, months or even years. It varies from person to person.

Avoid daily situations that intensify the reaction

Sweat, leftover traces of soap and water, and washing hands repetitively certainly intensifies the reaction. You should therefore always try to avoid these things in your daily life and be extra cautious about fighting them.

Keep your skin clean and dry

Keeping your skin, especially that which is in contact with the metal, clean and dry will help to reduce the severity of the reaction. Ensure that no soap residue or water is left on your skin, which is in contact with the metal.

If you are highly sensitive to metal, you should get your jewelry coated or plaited with palladium to avoid direct contact of nickel on bare skin.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

16 − four =