Nickel Contact Allergy and How to Deal with It

According to Mayo Clinic, Nickel contact allergy is the most common form of allergic contact dermatitiswhich is a skin reaction to an allergen, which is harmless but is perceived as inimical by the allergy sufferer.

A nickel contact allergy manifests in an itchy rash in the site where contact to the allergen was made.

Nickel-Contact-Allergy

Jewelry is the most common culprit that gives rise to a nickel contact allergy – earrings, necklaces or necklace clasps, coins, body piercings, spectacle frames and so on.

When the jewelry remains in contact with the skin for long periods, the rash and other symptoms of the allergy may appear such as:

  • Swollen bumps or rash may appear and the skin could become reddish or change in color
  • There could be a burn like appearance to the affected area of the skin
  • Itching is another symptom of nickel contact allergy and could sometimes be severe
  • Very severe cases could cause blistering and oozing of the skin
  • Sweating could exacerbate nickel allergy symptoms that are already present
  • Sometime an infection could also set in, causing pain, pus, and warmth in the area

In most cases treatment for nickel allergy is easily available anti allergy medication and home remediesas well as avoiding further contact with the allergen.

Sometimes the home remedies and anti-allergy medications may not work and in this case, a doctor should be consulted to try another option of treatment to reduce the symptoms. Though symptoms are possible to reduce, it is not possible to eliminate the allergy altogether and to become allergy free.

Some traces of the allergy continue to persist and the sufferer may find that they remain sensitive to metal even afterward and that they have to continue to exercise caution and to avoid exposure.

Posted in: ALLERGY

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Leave a Reply