Reduce Bee Sting Allergy With Quick And Proper Treatment!

Bee Sting AllergyBee sting is always dangerous. Those who work with bees are at high risk for developing bee sting allergy.

If a person stung by bee, two types of bee sting reactions take place. One is localized and another is systemic, allergic or life threatening.

Person who has bee sting allergy will have an itchy feeling, hives, difficulty in swallowing, generalized flushing of the skin, increased heart rate, difficulty in breathing, asthma, nausea, abdominal cramps, etc.

In a localized allergic reaction, the skin is reddened and painful, but the pain will evaporate in a few hours.

Sometimes, swelling and itching can also be seen. On the other hand, in systemic allergic reaction, the total body is affected. The person with systemic allergic reaction may experience diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, dizziness, hives, redness, and many more.

In anaphylactic reaction, the sufferer if not treated appropriately may experience wheezing, drop in blood pressure that lead to shock, difficulty breathing, and more.

If there is normal bee sting allergy, the person may experience a little pain in the location of the bee sting, some itching, and swelling.

Immediate removing of the sting apparatus by scraping out of the skin or brushing off reduces the venom injected and its effect. Speed is most important in reducing the effects of bee sting allergy.

The pain that everyone experiences is same after bee sting, but the amount of itching and swelling vary from person to person and depending on how often that person previously stung by the bee.

Most of the beekeepers practically do not experience any reaction to bee sting nor they have bee sting allergy since they generally pay no attention to occasional bee stings during their work.

Even if they are severely allergic, they are very casual in the amount of protection they use. So, the less attention paid to bee sting, the less painful it will be.

Many beekeepers with bee sting allergy can become desensitized. Beekeepers will make sure that their bees should not sting the passerby so that other people should not effect from bee sting.

Anyone is allergic to bee stings, but those who have food allergy and pollen allergy are at high risk of having bee sting allergy.

Treating bee sting allergy:

Immunotherapy or desensitization is available for bee sting, but before considering this treatment the patient must be evaluated at allergy clinic and physician will take blood tests and skin test on the patient.

The patient who received immunotherapy has to wait for an hour after injection as in some cases it may cause reaction. The patient should receive this injection weekly for eight weeks.

Local bee sting allergy usually responds to antihistamines such as Benadryl and over-the-counter drugs like ibuprofen. Adrenalin helps to treat generalized allergic reaction. It is advised to take adrenalin as soon as severe reaction is suspected.

Applying ice to the affected area reduces the body’s inflammatory response. Clean the sting area with soap and water and then apply hydrocortisone to decrease severity of bee sting allergy. Taking immediate action after bee sting can reduce the severity of reaction.

Posted in: ALLERGY

RSSComments (2)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

  1. Treisa Caporale says:

    Please help me……I was stung by a large red wasp in northeast georgia where I live. Immediately I started getting hives, swollen tongue and difficulty breathing. If I get stung again, it could be worse. I heard that if you eat local honey you can desentisize your body to beestings. Is this true? Is there a certain amount to eat? How long would it take? Please answer me soon. Treisa

  2. […] Many beekeepers with bee sting allergy can become desensitized. Beekeepers will make sure that their bees should not sting the passerby so that other people should not effect from bee sting. 11 […]

Leave a Reply