Inflammation in the airways of lungs is commonly known as asthma. This causes cough, shortness of breath and also wheezing. Asthma is said to me an irreversible condition but once it is diagnosed there are various ways by which it can be controlled.
Anti-inflammatory drugs that soothe the airways are used to control asthma and provide relief. Omega-3 fatty acids are well known to provide relief to inflammation and fish are good source of omega-3 fatty acid. For this reason fish oil is popularly used for treating asthma. It is always advisable to know in detail about any treatment that you may be likely to take. Below are some of the key point about how fish oil is beneficial for treating asthma and what probable precautions you may have to take.
- If you are suffering from asthma your immune system will become weak. The good fat in fish oil helps in restoring the immune system. If you have a good immune system your system would fight with allergies that you will be subjected through dust, pollen and airborne chemicals.
- Essential fats are the requirement of each body cell, the cells in lungs makes use of the omega-3 present in fish oil to regulate inflammation by producing hormones.
- Not every type of fish oil is helpful in asthma; medicinal properties are present it is the oil of fresh water fish. Salty water fish would have little or no impact in treating asthma.
- Fish oil contains PUFA and DHA that is considered beneficial to control asthma.
- The amount of fish oil intake needs to be monitored. It is globally recommended to take not more than 3g of fish oil. Consuming more than 3g of fish oil may put you at risk for more nosebleeds and also immune system efficiency may be compromised.
Studies have shown that in Australia children who had more intakes of fish were less prone to asthma attack when compared with those who did not have fish in their diet. It is also suggested that lung capacity is increased and oily fish are protective against wheezing; with all this factors in consideration fish oil supplement helps in controlling asthma to a significant level.
There are certain circumstances where it is advised not to consume fish oil like diabetes, hypertension, depression or HIV. You should get advice before you start consuming fish oil regularly and in cases where you foresee any adverse side effects consult your physician immediately.