Asthma is a chronic disease of the airways system. It is an inflammatory disease characterised by the various variable symptoms recurring in nature and/ or a reversible airflow obstruction. An infant may either have the disease by birth (i.e. due to genetic causes) or may develop the disease after birth due to environmental factors, any type of allergies, pre-mature/ excessive use of antibiotics etc. The asthmain infant natural remedies is preferred because of the fragile anatomy of an infant. Also the natural remedies for asthma help avoid unnecessary use of synthesised medicines and antibiotics.
There are many natural remedies for treating asthma in infants but each remedy may produce different results for different infants. Some of the natural ways to treat asthma in infants are as follows:
- One of the natural ways to help deal with asthma is to provide the infant with something hot to drink, like milk or plain hot water. This helps by relaxing the tissues/ muscles in the air passages which have swollen and obstructed the airways of the infant.
- When the infant has hard time breathing, the parent/ caregiver can hold a bottle of honey under the infant’s nose. As the infant inhales the air (and honey essence along with it) it helps in getting relief. Honey as a natural remedy helps by making the breathing in the infant easier and deeper.
- Turmeric is also considered a good natural and homely way to treat asthma in toddlers. The child can be given half or a third of teaspoon quantity of turmeric powder with water. It helps in avoiding attacks.
- Inhalation of steam helps in relieving the congested and the blocked airways. Thus steam is also used as a natural way of treating the asthmatic infants.
- Besides steam inhalations an infant being provided with hot water foot baths also helps. The heat through the feet travels fast and provides natural relief to the infant. Sun bath, steam bath and hot hip baths are also found to be helpful.
- The undigested foods and fermentation in the stomach is known to cause and aggravate asthmatic attacks. And since the infants are not able to specify indigestion or fermentation application of mud packs to their abdomen is a good natural source of relief. They relieve the fermentation and promote intestinal peristalsis.
- While during the attack, rubbing warm mustard oil mixed with small amount of camphor is helpful. The infant should be messaged with it on the chest and on the back area. It makes for a good natural and in house asthma solution.