If you have lung disease, and even if you don’t, you need to be particularly cautious when you are around an area that has flooded.
While the flood waters themselves pose serious threat, even once active flooding has ended, the remaining flood waters and the aftermath can pose serious hazards.
The flood waters themselves can contain a number of water-borne microorganisms and toxins.
Once the waters begin to recede, they leave these microorganisms and toxins behind, along with other bacteria, viruses, and especially molds.
Not only do these aggravate the conditions of those who already have asthma and lung problems, they can cause lung problems in previously healthy individual.
Further, dealing with a flood causes a great deal of stress, which further exacerbates the danger, while community housing can expose you to a number of airborne illnesses including tuberculosis, pneumonia, and the flu.
If electrical power is lost, be cautious when using gasoline or diesel powered machinery. Any of these can produce carbon monoxide, which is odorless, colorless, and potentially deadly.
Do not use unapproved devices to heat your home, and never use any of these devices in an enclosed space, such as a garage, cabin, or camper. Clean-up after the flood should begin as quickly as possible. It only takes 48 hours after a flood for mold to begin to grow.
Remove all wet materials from the home as quickly as possible, bag them before removing them from the home, and make sure you have continuous ventilation in the work area.
Do not use air cleaning devices that emit ozone, as they can harm lung health, particularly if you already have asthma or another chronic lung disease.