As anyone with asthma will testify, living with asthma as well as dogs can be hair-raising; because it is often our beloved pooches that cause us to have those horrible attacks that make life so much more difficult.
It is the pet dander that is responsible for triggering those asthma attacks and one would do well to think in terms of so called hypoallergenic dog breeds to keep asthma attacks under control.
While no dog breed is hypoallergenic in reality, there are several breeds that produce less dander than others and so may be safer to have around those with asthma:
- Poodles are considered to be non-shedding dogs because they have hair and not fur
- Shih Tzu or the Chinese lion dogs are another breed that shed very little when their coat is well maintained.
- The Yorkshire terrier is also known in some circles as the ratting dog. Since they have no undercoat, they shed less and are small and easy to care for.
- Maltese are small dogs ideal for city environments and again because they have no undercoat, they are a smart choice for asthma sufferers.
- The Kerry blue terrier is a short haired dog that also does not possess an undercoat.
There are many more breeds that are suitable; however, it is important to gauge the suitability of each dog personally with the help of an expert if possible.