Posted on Oct 24, 2007 | Comments 4
Asthma attack occurs when your bronchi and bronchioles become inflamed.
The inflammation reduces the airways through which air travels through the lungs.
This causes the sufferer to work hard to move air in and out of their lungs.
Once you have the complete idea of asthma attack information, you can prevent the symptoms of asthma.
Asthma attack begins with cough and chest heaviness. When the attack grows, wheezing develops.
Your breathing becomes more difficult and your cough produces thick, stringy mucus.
Airway irritation prevents the oxygen from reaching the lungs and cells of the body start to burn oxygen at a higher rate, which increases the need for oxygen.
Frequency of attack varies from sufferer to sufferer. Some have daily attacks while others can have attack in a month or even years without an attack.
Asthma attack information on narrowed airways:
People suffering with asthma have extra responsive or hyper responsive airways. When their airways become irritated, they react by contracting or obstructing. Therefore it makes difficult to move air in and out of the lungs.
The narrowing of airways is caused by airway inflammation and broncho-constriction.
Airway inflammation: The airway in the lungs becomes red, swollen and narrow. If a normal airway is exposed to certain allergen, it becomes inflamed, swollen and plugged with mucus. The airway becomes smaller and it becomes more difficult for air to enter into the airway.
Broncho-constriction: The muscles encircling the airways tighten or go into spasm. If the airway opening is exposed to certain allergen, the muscle fibres surrounding the airway contract thus, making the airway opening even smaller. This makes breathing for the person much more difficult.
Asthma attack information on activity provoked asthma:
Activity provoked asthma symptoms include wheezing, coughing, tightness in the chest and shortness of breath. You will feel tired easily during or after the exercise. You cannot run for more than few minutes without stopping. You will cough while playing outdoors.
You take longer time to recover with exercise induced asthma. If you have attacks with exercise induced asthma, you should not think that stopping the workout can improve your asthma symptoms. Remember that exercise is beneficial for physical health and emotional well-being.
Asthma attack information when you have attack:
- Keep asthma inhaler with you and whenever you had an attack, take puffs straight away and the number of puffs vary from person to person according to doctorâ€™s advice.
- Stay as calm as you can and try to control your breathing as much as possible.
- Do not lie down and sit with your hands on your knees for extra support. Try to slow your breathing.
- If the symptoms do not improve in five minutes, call a doctor or ambulance for help and advice.
Asthma attack information to minimize the attacks:
- Take precautions such as avoiding cigarette smoke, mold and dust mites to enter your home.
- Change of diet is required as some foods build mucus.
- Avoid trying different medications and remedies other than medications prescribed by the doctor.
- Healthy lifestyle helps to control your asthma attacks.
Posted in: ASTHMA