The main factor for asthmatics is overweight because excess fat puts extra strain on the heart and lungs.
For this reason, overweight people who are diagnosed with asthma are advised to start asthma diet to improve their health condition.
Diagnosis of asthma in addition to being overweight prevents many people from doing exercise, so a healthy high calorie asthma diet should be followed before starting any exercise.
Start Asthma Diet With Following Suggestions:
- Eat more lean meat or fish in your meals.
- Avoid processed foods, fried and fatty foods.
- The amount of sugar intake such as candy and biscuits should be cut down.
- Eat a piece of fruit instead of snacks if you feel hungry.
- Eat smaller amounts throughout the day instead of large meals.
Asthma diet should include foods which have high concentrations of natural anti-histamines and anti-inflammatories. These are beneficial to the airways leading to the lungs as they reduce small amounts of swelling and inflammation and lining of airways can be protected from irritants.
Asthma Diet With Natural Anti-Histamines And Anti-Inflammatories:
- Include apples and red onions as they contain bioflavonoid called quercetin which is a potent anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant.
- Include soy products, walnuts, oily fish and pumpkin seeds as they have high quantities of essential fatty acid omega 3.
Asthma Diet With Nutritional Supplements:
- Magnesium supplements have beneficial effect on asthma patients. Magnesium is used for healthy muscle and nerve function.
- Pine bark extract, also known as pycnogenol is used to reduce the symptoms of asthma. It strengthens the blood vessel walls.
- Grape seed extract is a powerful anti-oxidant and anti-histamine. It also helps to strengthen blood vessels.
Asthma drugs and medications contain steroids and when taken in long term can have side effects and may affect other areas of the body. Steroids may decrease bone density when used in long term and may result in osteoporosis.
Therefore, overcome this problem with asthma diet and try to include foods in your asthma diet that are high in calcium as calcium is required fro stronger bones. You can take dairy products to include calcium.
If you don’t like dairy products or allergic with dairy products, take multi-vitamins with added calcium. You have to consume recommended amount of nutrients without gaining body weight and balanced asthma diet.
People who are diagnosed with asthma may have allergy with particular foods. If these allergic foods are consumed, they may trigger asthma.
- Soy products
- Milk and dairy products
You may not realize that you have food allergies until you keep an asthma journal and make a link between what you eat and the fact that you suffer from asthma symptoms. Once the link is made, you can cut down the food which you are allergic to and follow asthma diet by avoiding allergic foods.
Maintaining a good asthma diet helps to control asthma. Combine the asthma diet with right medicines to keep asthma attack out become a asthma free individual.