There are number of alternative treatments available for asthma relief. The commonly used alternative treatment for asthma relief is ayurveda.
Ayurveda comes from two Sanskrit words: ayur, which means life and veda which means knowledge. Therefore, combined it is defined as knowledge or science of life.
Ayurveda has been used to treat many chronic diseases including asthma for positive asthma relief.
Ayurvedic practitioner will examine your history and lifestyle to find out the causes of asthma and provide asthma relief. After examining, the practitioner will prescribe ayurvedic asthma treatment each of which should be followed for the positive results.
The ayurvedic treatment will depend on three conditions:
- An irritated throat with a feeling of dryness that affects bronchial tubes leads to decrease in circulation of air around the lungs.
- Excessive lubrication may lead to over-production of mucus and clogging of bronchial system.
- Abundance of toxins is created by over-reactive bronchi which clogs the bronchial system leading to difficulty in breathing and excessive thirst.
After finding out the symptoms, treatment for asthma relief includes diet, exercise and nutritional supplements.
Exercise program for asthma involve meditation, breathing exercise, yoga and pilates so that you strengthen and tone your muscles, including lungs before going for anything more strenuous exercise.
You have to follow diet and exercise program for up to six months because leaving it at any point will take you back before you began the treatment.
One important and good thing about ayurvedic medicine is that you can integrate with your conventional prescribed medicines for asthma relief. Slowly you can reduce the prescribed medications dosage when your symptoms improve. But, you should not do without consulting your doctor.
In addition to diet and exercise, ayurvedic practitioner may prescribe herbal supplements which will not interact with any of your prescription medications.
You are advised to make lifestyle changes such as if you have stressful job or home life; you have to relax with meditation and relaxation techniques which could calm your nerves and loosen up your muscles. Drinking alcohol or coffee should be stopped if they are causing symptoms of asthma.
Diet for asthma relief:
- Avoid fried and processed foods
- Avoid sour foods such as buttermilk and curd
- Fruits such as guava, papaya, watermelon and banana should be avoided as in some people it may build phlegm in the bronchial tubes
- Take dry grapes as they are beneficial in asthmatic patients
- Do not have chilled cold drinks or ice creams
- Do not eat food which can aggravate the disease
Honey is one of the most effective remedy for asthma relief. Hold a jug of honey beneath the nose and inhale the air in contact with honey. This provides easier breathing and temporary asthma relief.
Ayurveda medicine is an alternative therapy which helps to lead a healthy balanced life and is an effective way of treatment for asthma relief.