Basically corn allergy is an improved sensitivity to corn when you have ingested.
If you consume the food which consists of corn proteins, it can trigger allergy symptoms including: sneezing, coughing, and swelling of the face, throat and tongue. Sometimes severe corn allergy reaction can lead to death.
If you already have severe allergic reactions, you should be very careful about it because food allergies can trigger life-threatening reactions like anaphylactic shock.
With this life-threatening condition, you will feel difficulty while breathing and there is a greater drop in your blood pressure. Among these life threatening reactions, corn allergy is the one.
Steps to avoid corn allergy:
- Avoid consuming the products which contain corn such as: corn syrup, corn starch, corn sugar, corn chips, corn flour, and corn alcohol.
- Carefully read all the food labels. When you are eating in restaurants, be careful on what you are eating. Ordinary table salt and vinegar also contain corn.
- You must be aware of ingredients to avoid corn allergy which start with dex, like dextrin, dextrates and maltodextrin. These are the sources of corn.
- You must be careful of substances like food starch and vegetable starch as they may include corn.
- Limit the intake of foods which contain sugar, like sweetened cereals. Most of the restaurants and hotels use sugars in preparing the foods as sweeteners.
- Better to get corn-free baking powder. You will find this in most of the supermarkets.
- Also, medications both over-the-counter and prescription may contain corn. Some of the cosmetics and toiletries also come with corn substances.
- Avoid licking the stamps and envelops because they contain corn. This will cause a serious problem for very sensitive people. Instead of licking, it is better to use water.
- In order to coat plastic wraps, plates and paper cups, corn oil will be used.
- Add 1000 to 5000 mg of vitamin C to your daily diet. Vitamin C helps your body to tolerate against allergens and it boosts your immune system. But you should be careful while consuming vitamin C as it is often made from corn.
- Avoid eating fast foods. Most of them contain some form of corn, from corn starch to corn syrup.
Follow corn free diet if you are truly having corn allergy. Here are the food additives which contain corn:
- Sodium ascorbate
- Potassium gluconate
- Lactic acid
- Ethyl maltol
- Sodium stearoyl fumarate
- Maltodextrin, Maltol, Malt or Maltose
- Hydrolyzed vegetable protein
- Calcium stearoyl lactylate
- Stearyl citrate
- Magnesium, Potassium-fumarate, Sodium or Calcium
Avoid these foods for maximum extent from your diet so that there is a less chance to get corn allergy.