Are you an animal lover? Have you experienced allergic to dogs? Allergic reactions to pets of all kinds happen to most of you.
You may affect with these allergies at any time. About 15 percent of the Americans are allergic to either dogs or cats.
Allergies from dogs are due to dog’s dander and saliva. These are the main causes of allergies.
Albumin, a protein found in the dog’s blood is also an important allergen.
Allergic reactions to dogs are very common, since dog allergens can be found in public places, including daycare facilities.
Some of you are allergic to certain breeds of dogs and not to other breeds. Some breeds can cause fewer allergies than other breeds.
According to most recent studies, you can keep dog allergies in control & you can live allergy free life with dogs. Dog ownership can protect against the development of allergies in your children.
This is because; dogs release a protein called endotoxin. This protein stimulates the immune system away from allergies.
The child living in homes with indoor dogs are far less likely to wheeze compared to children living in homes without dogs. Already if you have allergy or asthma and you are living with a dog then endotoxin may also worsen your symptoms.
Dogs and allergies! Due to dogs, allergies such as asthma, itchy and watery eyes, hives, headaches, fatigue, nasal congestion, sneezing, sore throat, voice loss and runny nose can be seen.
Dogs and allergies – How to keep dogs and allergies under control?
- Once you notice allergic reaction to dogs, visit your allergist. He may suggest antihistamine therapy for minor allergies. If you have severe allergic symptoms he may suggest immunotherapy allergy shots. This method helps to reduce heavy hitting allergens.
- Air filters can help you greatly in avoiding pet dander or any other allergen.
- Avoid carpeting your home, because it one of the biggest allergen collecting items and pet dander may get stick to the carpet and triggers allergic reaction.
- Daily brush your dog, especially during flaking season, in a well ventilated area can minimize the dust from floating inside the house.
- Wash all your doors and walls of your house with a mild dish soap. This helps to remove accumulated dander from the walls.
- Vacuum regularly with a HEPA equipped vacuum cleaner to remove the pet dander. Hence, you can be free of allergens from dogs and allergies.
- Wash all your bedding and even your dog’s also to remove all the dander.
- Rinse your dog daily in plain water. This is the biggest allergen reducer. Use only plain water but not shampoos and conditioners.
- Follow precautions to avoid house dust mites.
- Daily wipe your dog with a wet cloth or hand towel.
You should take all the above mentioned precautions to control allergic reactions due to dogs.