Do you face symptoms like watery and red eyes when you have contact with your cat?
They are the cat allergy symptoms and are very common.
Between six and ten million people in the US are suffering from cat allergy symptoms.
Cause of cat allergy:
- Invisible flakes of animal dander are the most common cause of cat allergy symptoms.
- Cat allergen is not only the cat hair but in some people allergy symptoms also occur due to pet saliva and sweat.Cat allergen is particularly sticky and is carried on your clothing.
- The other cause for cat allergy symptoms is a tiny protein with a carbohydrate structure present in the dander and cat skin flakes, called â€œFel d 1â€ allergen. It very small when compared to mold and pollen spores.Cat comes in contact with this allergen when it floats in the air. This allergen is deposited on its fur. Once it gets deposited, dried specks of saliva can float off and spreads around your home.
- This allergen can spread everywhere like walls, windows and furniture. This allergen lives for several years though the cat leaves your home.
Signs and symptoms of cat allergy:
- Cat allergy can affect many parts of your body, such as skin, eyes, throat, lungs, airways, nose, and ears and so on.
- Respiratory diseases also occur due to these allergens. These symptoms usually appear between 15-40 minutes after you exposed.
- Allergic reaction to cats can range from inflammation of the nose and eyes to asthma attacks.
- The most common symptoms are two types such as immediate and delayed.
- Red, itchy and watery eyes
- Red scratches on your skin
- Runny nose
- Hey fever
- Immediate rhinoconjunctivitis
- Postnasal drip
- Nasal congestion
- Itchiness on nose, roof or mouth or throat
- Coughing and wheezing
- Chronic asthma attacks
- Shortness of breathe
Treatment for cat allergy symptoms:
Cat allergen is very difficult to remove from the home because it is extremely small.
Medications to prevent cat allergy:
Antihistamines: These medications can available in forms of pills or syrup. They block the histamine release. They are used to relieve the symptoms of cat allergy such as hay fever and its symptoms like sneezing, runny nose or blocked nose and so on.
Eye drops: They contain antihistamines, reduce eye inflammation and they can be used if eye symptoms are a particular problem.
Nasal sprays or drops: They contain corticosteroids and antihistamines, and can be used to control nasal congestion and other nose symptoms.
For asthmatic symptoms:
To prevent asthmatic symptoms from cat allergy you should use the medications like relievers and preventers.
- Relievers are quick acting medicines that relax the airways. Bronchodilators are used to get relief from shortness of breathe.
- Preventers are long-term anti-inflammatories used to reduce the inflammation within the airways.
Personal home care to prevent cat allergy symptoms:
- Daily grooming helps to remove cat hair and dander. Groom your pet daily.
- Allow the cats only to some areas of the house. Keep the cats out of the bedroom at all times.
- Use hepa vacuum cleaners to reduce the cat allergens in the air.
- Use air purifiers to help filter your air.
- Use vapor steam cleaner to clean, deodorize and to remove cat dander.