Asthma is a chronic lung disease which cannot be cured completely but you can control so that you can have minimum symptoms and can lead a normal and active life.
If you have asthma, asthma management is an important part of your life.
Asthma management means staying away from the things which trigger your asthma and taking medicines as prescribed by the doctor.
You have to learn to take care of yourself by asthma management for living with asthma.
You talk to your doctor and make a plan that works on your asthma. For this, follow some of these steps for asthma management.
Steps to follow for asthma management:
- Talk to your doctor and tell about your medicines and drugs you are taking in case if anyone is affecting your asthma.
- Use asthma medications properly and ask your doctor how to use your inhaler because using inhaler in correct method is important. If inhaler is not used properly, amount of medicine gets into your airways.
- Follow the asthma plan and have regular check ups done.
- If you are facing any problem with asthma medicine you are taking, then consult your doctor immediately.
Avoid things that can worsen asthma for asthma management:
- If you have problem with pollen, stay indoors with air conditioner on when the pollen is high and avoid places with high pollen.
- You may have problem with animal dander, so avoid pets inside home and bedroom and wash your pet often.
- If your asthma is getting worse when you are exercising, talk to your doctor how to be active during exercise because exercise is important and should not avoid exercise.
- Dust mites at home may be the cause for your asthma. Control dust mites by washing pillows, blankets, bed sheets and curtains once in a week in hot water or you can use dust proof covers for pillows and mattresses.
- If smoking is creating problem, do not smoke or allow any one to smoke in your home. DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t stand near a person outside who is smoking.
- Wash your hands often to control cold and flu and get a flu shot every year. If cold is the cause of your asthma, wear a scarf over your nose and mouth.
- Avoid foods that contain sulphite if you are allergic to it. Sulphite is also found in wine, home-brewed beer and prepared meats.
- Keep humidity levels between thirty to fifty percent in the home as high humidity can promote growth of biological agents that may cause asthma attack.
- Avoid sprays like air fresheners, perfumes or strong smelling cleaners which can cause asthma attack.
- Keep the home clean with free of dust mites. Avoid furniture that collects dust. Remove the carpets and drapes from the bedroom of those who are suffering with asthma.
Apart from these, you have to follow healthy lifestyle for living with asthma. Living with asthma is crucial but by avoiding certain things and following asthma management, you can do it.
Signs of asthma to look for asthma management:
- If your asthma symptoms are bothering a lot at night
- If your asthma symptoms are happening more often
- If your asthma symptoms are worse than they used to be
- If asthma medications are not working properly
- If you are missing your school or office because of your asthma symptoms
- If you have to go the emergency room or doctor due to asthma attack
By keeping asthma journal to write your signs and symptoms of asthma attack, you can manage asthma. Living with asthma is quite difficult, but work out with the doctor about your asthma symptoms and take the necessary and appropriate treatment.
Following a healthy lifestyle and healthy diet is part of the asthma management. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and diet that are low in fats and sugar. Managing stress is an important element of the asthma management for living with asthma.
Asthma management is easier if you find out what are the triggers with which your asthma is getting worse and following the medication properly. By proper asthma management, living with asthma will become easier.