Cat allergy in humans can be described as an allergic reaction produced by one or more allergens of cat. As per medical literature there are 5 allergens of cat that causes this kind of allergy; among which major allergens are secretoglobin, lipocalin.
Cats are most common pets among those people who are suffering from pet allergies. But you have to remember that the fur or the hair is not the real problem in this regard.
People are allergic to the proteins found in the cat’s saliva, dander (dried flakes of cat’s skin) and urine as well. If you are allergenic you will have oversensitive immune system and the allergens will attack as bacteria or viruses.
Symptoms of Cat Allergy
Symptoms can appear either in just a few minutes or it will take hours to emerge. Being in contact with cat, allergic asthma might materialize as severe flare-ups among 20%-30% of people. Symptoms will include the following behaviors:
- Wheezing and coughing
- Itchiness of eyes
- Rashes can be found on your face or chest
- Stuffy or runny nose or sneezing
- Redness of the skin if a cat has bitten or licked you
Ways to Control Cat Allergy
According to medical science cat allergies cannot be prevented rather it can surely be controlled. Hence it is preferable to avoid cats or follow subsequent techniques.
- If you think a little cat contact will not harm then you are completely wrong in this aspect. Try to avoid kissing or hugging any cat.
- If your child has fallen in love with a cat or kitten and you have to stay with it then restrict cat’s movement in your house. Initiate to take medicine to control allergies beforehand.
- Clean your house vigorously to rid of cat dander which gets everywhere. Vacuum and mop your floors regularly. You should opt for vacuum with HEPA filter to catch allergens. Remove carpets and covers that can ensnare dander.
- Use a central air-cleaner with filters on the vents to put a stop to the circulation of cat dander throughout your house.
- Regular bathing to your cat can help you to control the allergens.
- Consider to keep your furry friend outside your house as much as possible. On this note you have to be aware about the needs of your pet and always be kind to them.
- Do not attempt to clean the litter box if you are having allergic potentials. Place the litter box in an isolated zone to avoid circulation of allergens.
Photo Credit By: femside.com